Toxic Jewellery

Have you ever wondered why some jewellery at your local retail stores are being sold at very cheap and affordable prices (besides the fact that they are mass produced, of course!)? Often, such jewellery are made from chemicals and cheap materials that make production fast and easy.

According to HealthyStuff.org, their studies have shown that many types of cheap and mass produced jewellery tend to contain harmful chemicals such as lead, cadmium, arsenic, mercury and bromine and chlorine (PVC). Exposure to these toxins can contribute to allergies and long-term health impacts such as birth defects, impaired learning, liver toxicity and cancer. Young children, especially, are placed at a higher risk. When they put such items into their mouths, they are increasing their chances of ingesting the toxins.

Buying cheap jewellery may help you to save some money but the toxins and their health impacts are irreversible.

Quick tip: To avoid buying jewellery that are made from lead or nickel (they can cause poisoning and allergic reactions respectively), look out for terms such as ‘lead-free’, ‘nickel-free’ and ‘hypoallergenic’ on their labels.

To learn more about the findings from HealthyStuff.org, you can watch their report here:

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Toxic Jewellery

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s